Upon revealing its business plan, the Port of Antwerp will focus on five key points in order to be ready for the future: Sustainable growth; Mobility; Transition; Safety & Security; and Operational Excellence.
The Antwerp port platform is one of the main economic engine for the Netherlands, as one in 16 people in Flanders works in or for the port, generating 21 billion euros annually: 8.1% of the total for the Flemish region.
Port of Antwerp's CEO Jacques Vandermeiren, stated:
"We are working towards a sustainable future for the port. This ambition is expressed in our new mission and vision, in which our role is defined even more sharply. We are much more than a port landlord, an operator and a facilitator in the nautical chain: we are also a community builder. We challenge ourselves to be even closer to our employees, our customers and stakeholders."
For this reason, the Port revealed its new plan for 2018-2020. In this plan, the Port said that it will focus on five strategic priorities:
- Sustainable growth: Managing and developing sites and infrastructure.
- Mobility: The port must remain accessible for goods and people.
- Transition: Transition to low-carbon economy and digital transition.
- Safety & Security: The Port will implement maritime security in a proactive manner, including supervision on water, land and in the air.
- Operational Excellence: The Port will create a Process Optimisation Board to identify and implement the most important projects for improvement.